Med Revue 2015

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Hey frands!

I'm back with another "You don't appreciate what you have until it's gone" post - but hey, its true, and sometimes we just need another reminder to live life in the present and enjoy every second of it, good or bad.
It's been a busy and exhausting two weeks (almost) and I've had the most amazing time being in the tech crew for Med Revue 2015. Everything from living on campus, to playing with power tools and learning about all things backstage (sounds, lights and ninja-ing) has literally made every minute of lost sleep worth it. It's been a whirlwind of emotions, new friends and new experiences, and it's literally made me feel like I'm part of something and I'm making history. It reminds me of the musical days, except the show run was longer by a night, it's fully run by students and I got a chance to see what happens behind the scenes. And let me tell you, I learnt a lot - there's nothing like doing a 2,500 word assignment during a week where you spend every night from 6pm-12am in a theatre (I kid, I learnt more than that). 

If you're used to being a performer like me, you tend to get the idea that the tech and stage people don't do all that much - they're literally hiding in the shadows and they spend most of the show sitting or standing around while you're doing all the performing on stage. Right? Even if you do understand that, yes, they are doing something and their role is important to get the show going, you discount it and you don't really get a chance to fully appreciate it until you've actually been in that position. Granted, I don't think my job as a stage crew member was a stressful as cast's, but I always took for granted that the set would end up on stage at the right time, props would be given to me, and that someone would come and get me when it was my turn to be on stage as a performer. 

I was lucky enough to sit up at the sound and lighting desk and listen on cans (those super cool headsets that you see people dressed in black talking into on the side of stage), and you wouldn't think listening could be stressful, but when things started to go wrong and stress levels got high, it happened. As an outsider, you never realise how much conversation is going on during a show and you don't think about how they know when to turn the lights on, the music on or do any of the background stuff that's coordinated on cans.

Sometimes you don't realise how much time theatre tech spend setting up the lights and preparing the stage for a performance - I always assumed the stage and the lights were the ready for each performance and they didn't change, and even after doing four musicals in high school I never really paid much attention to the time they spend putting in lights and setting them for a show, or how long it takes to program lights. But of course, you can never repay these people for what they've done or ever thank them enough. You can only pay it forward. 

In retrospect, I wish that was the reason I chose to do tech, but in reality, it was to do something different, expand my knowledge and learn something new because I'm now in uni and I want to grow as a person. I still don't really understand why so many people asked if I was performing for it - but I guess that's what happens when you have a reputation of doing a lot of performances and choreography. I was also quite done with performing after last year (the amount of performances for Prefects/Final Assembly was crazy... even though I loved it) and I really wanted to do something else. It was also interesting to hear that people didn't want to watch the show because I wasn't performing in it... But to all those friends, (ANNOUNCEMENT) I will most likely be doing law revue cast! So please come and support me next semester between the 8th and 11th of September xoxo.

I'm grateful for everyone who's given me opportunities to get me to where I am today, and I'm grateful for everyone who made my first revue experience as amazing as it was. I'm so glad to be a part of a community that has a long line of traditions and one that stands for being open and inclusive. I know I can never thank anyone who's helped me enough, so instead I will say this: 

Remember to take every opportunity you get but always remember those who helped you and pay it forward.
BTS: Med Revue Bump In

With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter