Reflections on the Past Year

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

This time last year, I was graduating from high school and saying good bye to the place and the people that helped and watched me grow over the last six years of my life. This time last year, I was spamming Instagram with daily countdown posts, feeling a bit stressed out about Final Assembly but also having a blast and creating memories that would last a lifetime with Rusefourteen, the greatest grade in the world. And this time last year, I had no idea what was waiting for me once I left high school.

A lot happened yesterday, especially on social media. Year 12 graduation at Ruse, campaigns for society elections (being connected to both BSOC and LawSoc makes it a bit crazy) and the #libspill, with Turnbull as our new Prime Minister (bye Tony Abbott - make sure you #PutYourOnionsOut friends). It was also my first full day back at university without Law Revue, and I guess it's strange but at the same time life keeps moving on and other things catch up to you. So instead I thought I'd take some time to reflect on what I've done over the last year, because a lot has changed since high school.
This time last year with my girls - the final days. Cannot believe it's been a year already.
Photo by whoever had Michelle Xu's camera.
I got through the HSC, did well enough and got into uni. And for any Year 12s reading this - the hard part is already over. Just keep powering through.

I was so done with studying and HSC halfway through HSC exams, but you just have to persevere and you will basically get to where you want to be eventually.

I started volunteering at a Vinnies Store. This was something that I'd wanted to do for years, except with musical in Year 11, Prefects in Year 12 and all the other stuff in between I just never got around to organising it. I started volunteering the week after I graduated, and I ended up volunteering there on a weekly basis for six months.
The Vinnies Store where I would roam on a Thursday afternoon.
I learnt that you can learn a lot from other people just by listening to their stories, and it taught me a lot about accepting others and their differences, especially people with disabilities. Up until that point, I hadn't worked with anyone with a disability and only occasionally people from a mature age group, so it was a really eye opening experience. Plus working on a retail front really does teach you some interesting skills in how to handle customers who demand discounts even when tags say "Prices as Marked", before taking out their anger on the volunteers. 

I started my first, proper job. And it was an interesting one - I'd been hunting for months when I finally landed my first proper job at Luna Park and I was super excited to start. Working there over summer meant that I met a great bunch of backpackers, international students and local students alike, and I literally met people from around the world. I still keep in touch with my backpacker friends from England and Wales - Facebook likes to inform me of their whereabouts, whether it's in Cairns, Melbourne or Alice Springs on a farm somewhere or travelling around with a circus. I went on a train trip down to Cronulla to visit my Brazilian friend and tried Brazilian food for the first time. I learnt how to interact with kids and worried parents, and although it was a shock I managed to accept that smoking was a part of what some people do (I know, naive me). I felt like I was getting out of the Ruse bubble and meeting others, especially people who came from vastly different backgrounds, and working out how to communicate with them. It was a good summer, and I grew up a lot.
Perks? Free rides.
I tried to make friends at uni and find my place. This was something that gave me a lot of anxiety, because I was scared I wouldn't make friends or I wouldn't fit in, and in hindsight I'm not sure what I was worried about. It did take me a good few months to finally feel settled, especially after feeling like everything I had accomplished in high school no longer mattered, and most of the people around me were no longer there. I found my way into BSOC, and although I made a few friends there, I could never really find my place. I wanted purpose, and I wanted to be on subcommittees. But there weren't any that I felt worked for me.

I found my way in Med Revue and joined the tech crew, and after a few barn workshops, Day of Excitement and then Show Week in Week 10 Semester 1, I finally found my place and my people. Combine that with Volunteer Army and the past seven crazy weeks known as Law Revue (I love you LR15 fam), I now basically have an awesome second family which I never thought I would have.
Law Revue 2015 Opening Dance.
Photo by Shuqian Hon Photography.
My advice to anyone going into uni is to get involved, join different societies and don't limit yourself. You'll eventually find people who are like-minded and are interested in the same things as you - and meeting people through other people is the best way of getting into things. So don't be scared - plus orientation camps are a good way to start.

I started an internship. It was something that I'd wanted to do for a long while (much like finding a job) and when I finally found one that worked for me it was brilliant. I'm learning a lot from it and experimenting a lot with social media, blogging and PR stuff and it's been pretty interesting so far.
Getting invited to a Picnic by food truck Happy As Larry Sydney and then getting blog about it? Priceless.
Photo from Raw Fashion Agency.
I revamped this blog and started up a studyblr, where I now have more than 400 followers! That's pretty cool. And although I wanted to make this blog a thing it's more just a collection of thoughts and anecdotal experiences. Plus the occasional analytical piece.

I learnt how to be more free with my time and how to use it wisely, and to cherish and nurture all the things that matter to me, especially in terms of friendships. If there's one thing we take for granted in high school, it's how easy it is to see your friends. It takes effort to meet up with people, but don't ever give up on your close friends because one year later, they are still my closest group of friends. Nothing quite beats the bond you develop during your years in high school. Don't forget to make time to do all the things you enjoy, whether that's music, sport, art or whatever your hobbies may be.

But also be open to new experiences and new people - you can make friends anywhere if you stay open to meeting new people. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or of doing new things. Plus peer pressure and cliques are much less of a thing in university, something that I'm eternally grateful for.

I know that I've grown up a lot over the last year, and I will continue to do so. Sometimes I really do feel that turning 18 is literally just a number - I only feel 18 now and I'm about to turn 19.
18th Birthday Party. Cannot believe I'm almost 19 - although the one thing I did learn is that I'm not that great at organising parties. 
Thanks to everyone who's stood by me and helped me out over the last year and thanks for helping me believe in myself. I've got lots more to learn and I'm glad I'm developing a better relationship with myself and that I've embraced single-dom. It's great.

With love, Sarah x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter