Coldplay | A Head Full of Dreams Tour Sydney

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Coldplay was an absolute dream.

At the beginning of this year I thought my concert days were over - mainly because a lot of my favourite artists toured last year and there wasn't any news of anyone playing down under in 2016 (except Troye Sivan - but sadly I couldn't get tickets). Coldplay's been on my list since two of my friends saw them during their Mylo Xyloto Tour (2012) and along with the fact that this could be their last tour indefinitely - it was an immediate yes.

Fun fact: Haze and smoke make lights look all the more impressive (and visible).
There were fireworks and confetti and bright, colourful lights galore during the big numbers, but they knew how to keep the crowd interested by mixing it up with stripped back, slower songs with more gentle lights and acoustics.

I don't remember whent his was but it was before 'Paradise'.
A sky full of stars!
You wanted big anthems? They gave it to you with lasers, bright lights, occasional fireworks and lit up the stadium with the free wristbands we got. You needed a moment? Right on cue, they would play something soulful like 'Yellow' or 'Fix You', initiating a singalong (especially during 'Viva La Vida') and swaying crowd. You wanted to party on a Tuesday night? They used a remixed 'Paradise' so the beat dropped and we jumped and danced to our hearts delight, waving our wristbands in the air in a way we never expected.

And just when I thought that was everything, they threw huge, colourful balloons into the crowd during 'Adventure of a Lifetime' - not what you'd expect at a typical concert and honestly it made it so much more fun.
Never did I ever think that I'd be part of a concert where I was so far and yet so close to the action (ie: a LOT of balloons).
I also really liked Coldplay's stage - they had one long catwalk halfway down the stadium so even though we were in the back half of the floor we still got a really good view, especially when the moved to the C stage behind us so they were only a few metres away from us. It also meant that we weren't left out of the confetti showers.
They were so close!
Confetti galore.
It's actually pretty cool being showered in confetti.
The set list was on point - there was never a dull moment and even though they played a number of songs from their headliner album there was no shortage of Coldplay classics. Both the opening acts - Jess Kent and Lianne La Havas - had a great sound and vibe and I don't doubt that they'll become big someday and I'll be there to say that I saw them live and I loved their music and their sound.

I'm not a die-hard Coldplay fan, but I've loved a fair few of their songs over the years and I love their sound. For me, there's two reasons I'd go to a concert - either I'm a massive fan and I know all their music, all of their lyrics and I want to experience it live, or I know enough of their music to enjoy it but I'll let the concert surprise me. This was the latter - and even though I didn't know all of the music I feel so lucky to see them perform live because they put on a bloody brilliant show. I don't feel like it was as life-changing as The Script's concert last year but amazing to be on the floor with thousands of other fans.
Concert fam - thanks for being fab.
As my friend suggested, I've made a tag called concert diary - and much like travel diary hopefully I can document these adventures of a lifetime so one day I can look back and remember how it felt like to be in the moment - just because it makes me so happy.

If you ever find yourself contemplating whether or not to go to your first concert or want something different to do - take the splurge and you won't regret it. Especially something as big as Coldplay - how it feels to be there is just incredible. Go for experiences - and you won't regret it.

What was the last concert you went to?

With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter